It's 3am, you're over served and your drunken alter ego is convincing you that stuffing your face now, will save your life tomorrow. The truth is, unless you are 22, you are basically screwed either way. If you are gonna go all YOLO on me and dig in, my advice is to go for the (Fiber One or Udi's Bread) peanut butter sandwich (trust me if you are drunk enough to eat carbs this late, it all tastes the same anyway). Please skip the burger, fries, pizza, potato skins, mozz sticks... you get it. These greasy foods are seriously hard for your body to digest, which could prevent you from achieving the deep sleep you are gonna need. Not to mention all the sodium, which will be a serious joy ride even further into dehydration hell. So, stop texting that random dude that you just met (whom you are not going to marry) and get serious about the only 3 things you need in your life right now. First h20, second potassium, and finally vitamins.
- H20 - I seriously hope I do not have to explain this one. Chug, chug, chug like the girl you were in College surrounded by a group of conformist peers. There is no such thing as too much in this moment, so be the gluttonous water monster that I know you can be.
- Potassium - a banana would be amazing, but who the hell wants a banana when they are drunk? Chug at least one RAW Coconut Water. Raw is the new Zico.
- Multivitamins- take them! They prep your bod for the depletion of vitamins caused by lots of trips to the ladies'. Wellness Coach and former New York Daily News Advice Columist, Dr. Belisa Vranich swears by good ol' Emergen-c, "Emergen-c packs mixed with water are great because the water goes down easier when you know you'll get vitamins in it too".
Here are a few more late night binging tips from Dr. Belisa:
- Go for tasty/pungent rather than salty. Think a couple of chocolate covered frozen pineapple chunks.
- The freezing will make you chew, which is important in helping you limit the amount of calories you ingest. Also the cold/tart/sweet combo will help you feel full faster. If you are plumb out of chocolate or pineapple, go with a simple sorbet like lemon.
- An apple with peanut butter.
- Unsalted pop corn or watermelon. If you are really needing that "stuff your face" feeling, than these are your best bets.
"Even if you end up eating all of these in a blind alcohol-induced binge, you still get a nice bunch of fiber, some fresh fruit, and overall less damaging and shame-inducing calories to have to tack on to your drinks from the night before" says Dr. Belisa.